The CrossFit OPEN 2017 – Red vs. Blue
The 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is here! “It’s a worldwide competition about community and the idea you can do anything you put your mind to. It’s about proving yourself. It’s a party. It’s also about friendly rivalries, bragging rights and talking trash to those you hold most dear.”
Your Guide to the CrossFit Open at Thomasville CrossFit
- CrossFit HQ will announce one workout a week for five weeks starting Thursday, February 23rd at 8PM EST (to learn more about the announcements go here.) We will be streaming these announcements at the box every Thursday night for those that want to join us and watch the most elite CrossFitters throw down on live TV.
- On the 1st, 3rd and 5th Friday nights during the Open, we will be doing these workouts as a CrossFit affiliate where we will have fun, sweat and cheer each other on – and then we will host an after-party where we will celebrate our fitness community. The dates that we will be hosting these events are Friday, February 24th, March 10th, and March 24th. The event starts at 5:30 PM each of these Fridays and runs until we finish all heats. Mark your calendars! We will also be completing the Open WODs at our box on the 2nd & 4th Weeks as well, but not hosting a BIG after-party – just more minimal drinks/snacks.
- Each Friday – Monday during the Open, the WOD will be the OPEN WOD. We will have Friday AM classes as usual (5:30 AM and 8:00 AM), but please remember that judges are limited during those times. We will post a warm up to be done at your discretion. We will be running the Open workouts like an in-house throwdown. You will sign up for heats and each athlete will have a judge.
- If you want to help with judging please take the judges course here. We need your help, so please let us know if you have taken the judge’s course for 2017 and give us a copy of your certificate! If you have taken it in previous years, you have to take it again for 2017. It’s $10 and very informative!
- Haven’t signed up yet? New to CrossFit? You can sign up for the CrossFit Games Open here. You won’t regret it! The Open is a great way to measure your fitness from one year to the next and both Rx’d and Scaled options are available for all WODs. The sooner you sign up, the better – Abrie and Nick will be conducting their “draft” on Wednesday night (February 22nd). If you’re on the Red Team, Abrie is your Team Captain (2015 Champs) and if you’re on the Blue Team, Nick is your Team Captain (2016 Champs). You are definitely encouraged to show your team spirit by sporting team colors, swag, etc.
- Whether you are participating in the Open or not, please come out and support your gym family, help us judge, and bring your friends and family!
- Like we said before, the night will finish off with a few beverages and snacks at the after-party which we would also love your help with! See below for more details on that!
If you can’t make it on Friday, we will be doing the Open workout again on Saturday (during Open Bay) at 8am – 12 noon. Judges may be limited on Saturday, so try to prepare by lining up a judge in advance. The window of time that you have to complete each Open WOD is from Thursday at 8 PM EST until Monday at 8 PM EST. If you have some special scheduling issue, please let Nick and Abrie know and we’ll try to work with you to make arrangements – please communicate with us in advance! We definitely want to encourage that if you are available to do the WOD on Friday night, you should do it! The atmosphere and energy are awesome and the community is so encouraging! If you’re having reservations about signing up or doing the WOD that night because you are nervous or new to the sport, I can assure you that you are not alone…we are all nervous and were all new to this at some point…remember we are all in this together!
What can you bring? Here are some ideas we have outlined for this Friday, February 24th 🙂
- Chips & Dips
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Fruit Salad
- Variety of Chips
- Variety of Veggies for dipping
- Frank’s Cookies 🙂
- Bottled water
- Oh…and BYOB…we will have some adult beverages on hand, but if you have a favorite, please bring it on!
If you have ANY questions, please direct them to Nick and/or Abrie! Call or text Nick at 229-977-5025 and Abrie at 229-977-5707!
We are excited to throw down with y’all!
Coach Nick & Coach Abrie