On Saturday, October 27, 2012, Thomasville CrossFit is hosting our first fundraising event for Barbells for Boobs which “is a 501(c)3 non-profit breast cancer organization whose mission is to provide funding through the Mammograms in Action Grant Program for qualified low income and uninsured women and men who need screening and/or diagnostic procedures in the prevention of breast cancer.”
One of the reasons we chose this event in particular is because it is very personal to me (Abrie) and my family. Many of the women in my family have battled, survived and are currently battling breast cancer. Without the availability of mammograms, they would not be survivors. I can’t express how important it is for everyone – man or woman – rich or poor – young or elder – to have access to breast cancer screenings. I also think that this fundraising event couldn’t come at a better time – October – Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So bust out your pink ribbons and pink sports bras and let’s lift some heavy stuff in support of Barbells for Boobs!
This fundraising event will kick-off at 8:00 a.m. at our gym location of 423 Commercial Drive, Units C & D in Thomasville, Georgia. We will be hosting two CrossFit WODs in support of Barbells for Boobs – GRACE for individual participants and HELEN MEETS GRACE for two-person teams. There is no registration fee to compete in either of these events, but we ask that you register with us by sending an email to email@example.com with your name(s), phone #, and the WOD you wish to complete no later than Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. The following are the Rx’d specifics for each workout – however, these can be scaled down so that anyone can participate. You must be at least 18 years old to participate or be accompanied by your legal guardian.
- 30 Clean & Jerks for time (135/95#)
HELEN MEETS GRACE
- This is a 2-person team workout with one person working at a time, except for the 400m runs, which must be performed together.
- HELEN consists of three rounds of: 400 meter run (both partners run together), 21 kettlebell swings (Rx 53/35#) and 12 pull-ups. Partners can tag-team in and out of the kettlebell swings and/or pull-ups as needed.
- Once all three rounds of HELEN are complete, the team immediately moves on to perform GRACE which consists of: 30 clean and jerks (Rx 135/95#) as fast as possible, partitioned anyhow between the two team members.
- Score is total time for the team to complete both workouts!
If you would like to participate in one of these WODs and would like to begin training specifically for this event, our gym is free and open to the public every Saturday from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
If you do not plan to compete in either of these WODs, we invite you to come out and support our competitors and this wonderful cause! There will be lots of action, treats and other festivities!